Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The age we live in

I have stated on here and elsewhere many times, that the internet age is good and bad.  The last few days however have been nothing but good for me.  As I write this, I am preparing for my high school's girls basketball team to play in a tournament in a nearby town.  Despite not knowing anyone on the boys or girls teams (it's been 15 years since I graduated), I still like to follow the teams.  When I was in high school, I was a statistician for the teams.  I also shot video and was even a waterboy.  I loved to take the shot sheet and take the unofficial stats.  Besides the fact I got to hang out with the popular kids, I got to watch the games for free.  Some games  I didn't even have to help at and I still got in free.  My favorite games were always the tournament games though.  It gave me a chance to see other teams play since we got there early, and allowed me to check out the other schools too.  One of the things I miss most about high school is my time helping with the basketball teams.  I took stats for the baseball team once, and while I love baseball more, at a high school level, to me, nothing tops basketball.  I never liked how high school baseball used metal bats.  I did enjoy watching the games on occasion while I was in high school, but after I graduated, I never had a desire to watch them.  We didn't have a football team, so baseball/softball, and basketball was it (besides track).  I know we were and still are a small school, but I never got why we didn't try fielding a volleyball team or something.

I bring this all up because as I stated, the Pilot Grove Lady Tigers are about to do battle in the Slater Tournament, and I planned on listening to it on the radio.  That is until a couple hours ago.  The radio station, KMMO, sometimes steams the audio online, and has sometimes had video of the game.  I found out a bit ago that Not only is every game from the Slater Tournament going to be on the radio, but they will be broadcast via livestream.  I just watched some of the boys game from last night, and am now pumped to see the girls play.  If you want to check it out, go to KMMO's website and there should be a link at the top.

The internet age has allowed us to do a lot of things.  That was just one example.  Another one made me excited last night.


JOHNNY DAMON now follows me on twitter!  Yeah it's not like we are buddies, but this made my night last night.  Johnny Damon is one of my favorite players ever, and just for him to acknowledge me a bit mad me happy.

I was watching Celebrity Apprentice last night as I have all season, and I've been following Damon on twitter.  Most of the cast has been live tweeting so it is a fun way to go behind the scenes.  At one point last night, Johnny tweeted something along the lines of "Who should I follow".  So immediately I replied ME ME ME!.  Well, I was nicer about it, I replied along the lines "it would be an honor if you could follow me".  Looking back it sounds a bit creepy, but I'll take it.

I love twitter more than I ever thought I would.  I follow some other bloggers on there, and other people too.  When I started, I followed only news sites and people I run into every day.  Today it has evolved into a lot more.  I interact with quite a few musicians and comedians, as well as businesses.  You may notice the name Spanky Brown on that picture.  He is a very funny comedian that I talk to a lot on Twitter and Facebook.  He has an internet radio show every morning, and while I haven't been able to listen in a while, it is worth checking out.

The internet age to me has its ups and downs, but lately I can't complain too much.  Sorry for not much substance today, but I hope to have some cool blogs in the next few days.  Thanks for reading and have a great night.

5 comments:

  1. I have three retired NBA players and one retired NASCAR driver that follow me...each time I saw one in the notifications it was a thrill that lasted a week or more. I much prefer Facebook myself, but Twitter is where all the athletes are, so I maintain a page on there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you have me as a follower as well, but I'm MUCH less interesting than Johnny Damon.

      Delete
    2. and now I follow you too. I'm sure unlike Damon, if we tweet each other, we will reply. Thank you for replying and following. As for interesting, if that was a criteria, then I would have been off twitter long ago.

      Delete
  2. I read twitter all the time for sports news, but don't have an account myself. I need to start one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started one because a coworker had one and nobody else really did. It was a way to vent about work without anyone seeing it. Now I use it to post random thoughts and to do a lot of retweeting dumb or interesting things. Thanks for the reply.

      Delete