Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Interesting article about Spring Training

I was looking around the web and stumbled across an article by Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News.  Spring Training is broken and needs to be fixed is an interesting read if you have the time.  He discusses ways to improve spring training from the standpoint that it should focus more on getting players prepared for the season.  WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

When I saw the headline my first thought was "its not broke, its just a bit long" which as a whole I think the season is too long as you may have heard me saw (hey, just cut off 20 games, that's all I'm saying).  He begins by saying from a fan standpoint it is very successful, but as "training" it is a bit ineffective.  He then discusses how its a tad long (maybe we're on to something), and ways to improve it.  I like articles that give ways to improve a product even if I don't agree with them.  His ideas are interesting, but they make sense- minor leaguers/non roster invites start the spring training 10 days before vets, and allow a 28 man roster in April (only 25 active per game), allowing a couple players some game time play and possibly saving pitchers early in the season.

Overall, going in I thought it doesn't need to be fixed, but after his argument, he is making a lot of sense.  As a matter of fact, these changes sound a lot better to me than recent changes MLB has implemented like the home plate collision rule.

I just thought I'd throw this out in case you didn't see it, I plan to post another blog later tonight.  Thanks for reading and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment