Friday, June 24, 2016

A Little Late On The News

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I was starting an occasional feature looking at magazines I get.  I also mentioned that I would corral all the ones honoring Ali together for a post.  I think I've gotten all that I will likely get so let's show off the three that featured him on the cover and a couple articles inside.


Let's start with the obvious choice and Sports Illustrated.  I've been busy lately with other stuff (namely a free Netflix trial getting as much viewing in as possible) so I haven't read any of these yet, but I like this cover.  No date of birth or death date, not even his name, just THE GREATEST.  That sums it up nice and nothing more needs to be said.


They also featured another photo on the back cover saying FAREWELL, CHAMP.  It was a nice touch, and the pages in between had mostly stories and articles about him, with exception to the NBA playoffs, so it was a nice tribute.


Next up is Time, which also keeps it minimal.  However, I would be okay with a slightly larger font especially if the background is all white.

Inside they dedicated almost the entire issue to him, and actually think just by looking at it, they did a better job than SI.  If you liked Ali and can still find this issue, I'd say go get it.


Third and final cover is from People.  People ran other stories and had very minimal coverage, so you could skip it if you wanted to.  I do like their photo selection though and thought the cover was laid out nice.

Inside I even scanned a few things as well among the three.


Time showed previous covers featuring Ali, which was pretty cool.  I'm not big on Time, but I will admit they can piece together tribute articles quite nicely.


I chose this one just for the photo.  A lot of the photos inside these magazines were really nice, but they wouldn't fit on the scanner so I could only go for smaller ones.


I think this was also from Time, but it could have been SI.  It fit so I included it.


This was on the back page of SI, and I thought it was pretty cool for them to bring it out of the archive.


Finally is some thoughts from celebrities which was a nice touch as well.  They spread it over two pages.


Here is the other page.  I like the picture Foreman posted.

Overall I thought all three had nice tributes to him, but I thought Time did the best job.  I never really touched on what I thought about Ali, and I think not being alive when he was at his apex never made me that big on him.  I didn't hate him, I just wasn't around to see him so I couldn't grasp the hype he got.  It would be like people being born in the last decade not understanding how great Michael Jordan was to basketball.  They only can see archives, and the sport has changed so much that looking back it doesn't look as extraordinary as it once did.  However, that doesn't take away from the man's ability and sheer dominance of the sport.  I didn't categorize myself as an Ali fan because he alway's seemed too cocky to me, but I know it not bragging if you back it up, but I've never been a fan of cocky people.  In reality he was one of the only names that you could say of an athlete and immediately everyone knew who you were talking about. At times he seemed to carry the World on his shoulders.

Once he got Parkinson's he still was fighting and he still had the same tenacity, focus, and swagger to him that he had in boxing.  I admired that a great deal as a matter of fact.  He never gave up, and despite people saying they won't quite, being diagnosed with a disease takes a hell of a lot out of you, its easy to give up.  For those that fight on, they fight until they literally can't anymore, and for that, I gained a lot of admiration for him.

He will be missed by a lot of people, that is for sure.  I've mentioned to some people I've wanted to visit Louisville, KY again in the near future (it will be 20 years this fall since I last went), and I was checking out a few places there and you could tell the city loved to call Ali their hero and even have quite a few places named after him.  I'd likely visit some of them when I do eventually go.

So that will wrap it up for today.  I got a package in the mail today that I plan on showing off starting Monday, and might even sneak in a post this weekend.  I have some plans for Saturday if it doesn't get too hot, so we'll see.  Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment