Saturday, March 7, 2020

Computer Clean Up- Cards and more

I get in spells where I start working on something then just stop.  As of late I've worked on cleaning up my computer and trying to make copies of my movies.  I've been successful but the last few days, I've stopped doing it.  Now I'm trying to scan old photos again, as I'm months behind on it.  I've put it off for a bit because I've wanted to clean my hard drive first, and my pictures folder has gotten a lot smaller, eliminating doubles.  So its about time to start scanning again, and I've done that for a couple days, scanning around 200 or more photos.  At times I wish I had a scanner that would feed through photos and I could knock them out faster, but getting 200 photos scanned in about 2 hours, I can't complain.

Today I took a break from that as I had to go do some shopping.  I went to my local second hand store, but came out empty handed.  I also came out of Dollar Tree empty handed.  Not a surprise since all they carry is Pokemon stick packs anymore.  I did buy food at Walmart, but passed on anything extra.  Since the weather was nice, I went to storage and cleaned up a bit and found some stuff for another day.

Since I don't have a lot going on at the moment, I thought it was time to write a blog.  I'm always behind on stuff, so this will be a random mix of stuff on my computer, but it will have cards included.  Some is a lot more recent than others, while some is over 2 years old.  I could probably do a week's worth of posts like this, so depending on my mood, I could be writing more.  However since my scanner is out, I could just scan more stuff and save it for later.  Anyways, enough talk, let's dig in.


The XFL IS BACK!  For how long who knows, but I got these in a pack a couple years ago, they are foam type cards, and I admit I like them.  They are from 2001, and even if the name isn't the best, I did like the Maniax.  Its not a set I'm going to chase down, but it was a fun pack to open.


Here is the back.  Again, not something I'll chase down, but it was fun.  I did open a few packs of the Topps set in 2001, and if I ever got back into collecting football more, I would maybe chase the set down.


We'll get back to cards later (okay, one more card), but let's look at other stuff.  While trying to clean up stuff one day I came across this lottery ticket from the late 90's.  I think 1997 or so.  It was a non-winner, and my dad seemed to keep every non-winner, but when we moved, we left most of them behind.  This one managed to slip through the cracks, and I'll keep it with my cards for now.


I was really excited to find this clock at my local thrift store a year or two ago.  It was the exact kind my mom had in her kitchen while I was growing up.  She had it for many years until it stopped working.  I gladly paid the 1.50 for it, and now is hanging in the hallway.  My mom didn't really want it, but later said she's happy I found it because it did bring back memories and she was surprised I remembered it.


This was 3 dollars at my local thrift store.  I never heard of Grace Digital before, but since I like electronics, I thought "hey, it has a cord to plug it in, and it said it works".  It also had a little flash drive plugged into the back.  I should be wiser about plugging in random flash drives, but luckily this one was fine, and it was empty.  I use it today for other stuff and is an 8GB, enough for what I use it for.

It's an internet radio.  I was a little skeptical at first, but after a while, I love it.  Maybe one of the better purchases I ever made.  The downside is it must connect to the internet (wireless though), even if you use the usb drive.  The upside is, I can use an usb drive to make a playlist of music, and listen to what I want.  Right now I have a 250 song playlist I turn on when I don't want to hear what is on the stations.  It has 10 presets, and I have a wide mix of stations.  While not every radio station is included, it has a nice enough variety for me.  It has an option to add more stations (aside for the 5-10,000 or more they claim), but since this is an older model, its a bit tough to get them to add it (it will only work for stations using http, not https).  That said, I listen to an alternative rock station out of Kansas City, and even can listen to Mizzou, Chiefs, and Royals games.  I found a throwback hip hop station (80's-early 2000's rap), plus a few 90's stations.  During Christmas, I found a lot of random stations as well.  It has almost any genre imaginable, some days I'll listen to Reggae.  They have made newer models, but even this one if I decided to sell it was going for around 50 bucks when I bought it, it might be cheaper now.












Most of these are more recent finds, but recently I've cleared my huge stack of VHS tapes, so I've slowly bought some more.  I usually go for random stuff, or stuff you won't find on DVD or Blu Ray.  I did get Renaissance Man because I like the movie and not sure I would ever buy it on DVD.  I'm a big fan of Amy Grant so I had to get that as well.  The others were random stuff.  The Ray Stevens I got because I like his stuff as well.  The Chiefs one I got because I loved the Martyball era of the Chiefs, so it was nice to find.

I will probably slow down on VHS for now, but I'll always be on the lookout for stuff.



I forgot a couple more.  The bottom one is only an hour long, and I can't find anything on it.  Though I grabbed it because on the back was a picture of Alex Karras, so for a dime it was worth a shot.

So now we'll look at another card to wrap things up.  This came in a box of wrestling cards I got last year or two, and its one I really like.


I've been a fan of Bobby ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODE! since his early years of TNA Wrestling, so it was a nice pull.  I haven't been into wrestling as much lately, but I still manage to watch a time or two a week, usually NXT on Wednesday nights.  I just can't get into AEW but I have to admit I've watched it more the last couple weeks.  I hope AEW well, and hope a new rival for WWE emerges, but I think it will take a while.

I think we'll wrap it up here for today.  I could have made this a Savvy Loot post, but I'd rather clear out my computer and once I get caught up, I'll do more of those.  Plus I haven't done too well on Savvy Loot stuff lately, so until I get a few good things, I'll hold off.  Thanks everyone for reading, and I hope to be posting more card related posts soon, but until I clear out some folders, it could be a while.  Have a great weekend everyone.

2 comments:

  1. That internet radio sounds pretty neat! I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I think even I could figure out how to use one of those, and use it I would.

    I always see the various versions of those video greeting cards, even bought one once, just once was enough though :)

    Good thing that ticket was a loser, because that sure would suck to come across it all of these years later, only to find out that it was a $200 winner.

    Oh, and don't feel too bad about the whole starting and stopping thing, I do that as well. I'd be rich in nickel's if someone were handing them out to folks who start projects, and then stop before they're finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm not expecting much on the video greeting card, but hope to find years my family members were born.

      The internet radio is nice, and would be even better if I used Pandora or Sirius as they are both options on there. I really wish there was a way to get an update for it, but I'm happy for that price.

      I've found some winners before that expired, but at most I lost 20 bucks, but its still 20 bucks I wish I had.

      Thanks for reading, my biggest problem is since I don't blog as much, I don't tend to take time to read others. I wish I did that more, but I think once I do, I'll get back into it more.

      Delete