Saturday, July 29, 2023

Feeling Hot Hot Hot!

 All across the country, well the World, there is a heat wave.  In the midwest, it isn't near as bad as Arizona, but we are in the third straight day of an excessive heat advisory or warning.  My motto is usually "if its over 90, I'll stay inside".  I'll be honest, I stay inside a lot, but on the bright side, I have plenty to do to keep me busy.  I have a special blog I might get to soon (I would say some point in August), but today I have a few more things to show off including some finished puzzles.  Most have been finished for a while, but I never posted them.  Currently the 2000 piece one is taking longer than hoped, but at least I'd say its over half done.  After its finished it might be time to take a break from puzzles for a bit to sort some cards and scan some photos.

Last weekend my nieces visited and luckily a couple puzzles we recently bought was handy so they finished those before my mom and I had a chance to work on them.  I also introduced them to Ernest P. Worrell, as I showed them the movie Ernest Goes To Camp.  It's my favorite Ernest movie, and even if my nieces didn't seem interested in most of the film, my brother in law did.  So that's a win.  They made a visit because my nephews were supposed to visit, but stuff came up and the couldn't make it.  All this rambling, I guess its time for some pictures.  I also have an update on something I posted last time.  We'll start with the puzzles my nieces finished.



Simple 100 piece puzzles, but that was kind of the point when buying them.  Something to do when the kids visit.  They really liked the Smurfs one (as do myself and many other readers), and my brother in law even explained who they all were.  The cat one is a little more plan than I thought, but still a fun time waster.  Now I'll have to find some for the next time they visit.

I mentioned in the last post that before we went crazy with puzzles, we were hesitant to buy puzzles at regular price, but we did on the trip prior.  I didn't show them last time, so let's see them now.



A 1500 piece for 3 bucks isn't bad and we was already thinking ahead of fall themed ones.  This one reminded me of the back to school time which is approaching fast.  Maybe this 2000 piece one will be done by then.  The other one is 1000 pieces, and its always nice to add holiday themed ones.  Since we will put puzzles together multiple times, its good to have a lot to choose from during Christmas time that way if we don't get to one but every couple years its still doesn't seem easy to put together again.  This one I think will be fun and I can't wait to work on it.  





Here is some we recently finished (the last 2-3 months), and I believe my mom finished the top two before I had the chance to work on them.  I think I did a little bit of the bottom one.  These were smaller 500 piece ones that you would find at Dollar Tree, but they was still fun.  Speaking of Dollar Tree, if you want to work on a cheap and easy puzzle, they have quite a few to choose from, some are even a little more challenging.  A lot of them are 500 pieces but some as few as 24 (a lot of them for kids too).  We haven't bought too many as of late (not since they gone up to $1.25), but mainly because we had a steady supply of puzzles and didn't need new ones.  The pieces tend to fall apart but they are fun for entry level puzzles.



These were a bit more challenging, but both fun 1000 piece ones.  The top one might make the rotation of doing every year or two, I really liked it.  The bottom one was good, but I'm not sure how often it will be done.  Its better suited for the winter months, but we wanted to finish all the ones we haven't done yet, so it was in the rotation.  As I type this I just thought about a couple yearly puzzles that I may not get to this year.  I have a couple panoramic ones of Kaufman Stadium home of the Royals, and Memorial Stadium, home of the Missouri Tigers.  Since we have so many new ones and a couple 2000 piece ones, I don't know if I'll get to them.  Then again, I think I didn't do them last year either.  Well, here's to next year.

In the last post I showed off a doorknob and mentioned it might come in handy.  Well, I'm no handyman, but I finally decided if it would work on the pantry door.



I am glad to say that it worked perfectly, and was money well spent (50 cents, can't beat that).  Even though I know the plate didn't fit perfect, that was more because of the door itself.  Also I don't know if I put the doorknob on the right way, but its for a pantry and the door opens, I don't think it matters.  To answer a question I had, it was indeed a passage doorknob, not a dummy.  I think a brand new one was like 10-12 bucks, so I'm also happy we saved money.  I'm not a handyman, but it feels good to finish a project, especially one we just added to our to do list.

Since it is still hot outside I need to find stuff to do indoors.  Luckily I've got a couple movies to watch, one was from my local thrift shop for a buck, another for free thanks to Disney Rewards.




Step Brothers was never a must have movie, but for a buck on blu-ray, I figured I'd go ahead and get it.  If it had been The Other Guys, I would have got it within a second.  If I made a list of favorite Will Ferrell movies Stepbrothers might be towards the top only because I can only take him in small doses, and its rewatchable.  

The Bears movie from Disney was for a couple reasons.  I like the idea of the Disney Nature movies and I got a couple cheap a year or two ago.  Since this included DVD and digital copies, I figured I'd get it.  Disney Rewards has been very generous this year with free points, and I think this was between 600-800 points.  I think they have given over 1000 free points out this year, so I figured why not.  The only thing I really like is the movies, so I figured it was time to spend a few.  Plus the movie itself gives you a code for 150 Disney points so its even cheaper.  It also builds up my blu-ray collection.  When I opened the package the Elemental postcard was included.  I doubt I watch the movie, but it still looked cool, so I took a picture of it.  I'm using it to scoop up puzzle pieces.

I also just got a CD thanks to Listia.  Another site where it cost me nothing.  I hardly buy on there anymore, but I still build up my points from time to time.  There is a seller who has cheap movies and CDs which I'll watch.  If they stay low I might bid.  I found one that brought back memories, so I went ahead and got it.


Vitamin C was a pop singer in the late 90's/early 2000's and only had a couple CDs.  This was her self titled album, and it features the song Graduation (Friend's Forever) which one of class songs.  I think our official class song in high school was I Hope You Dance from Lee Ann Womack, but this one was also mentioned I believe.  At least I think it was.  I'm getting older, so maybe it was just a song I thought should have been.  Either way it brought back memories so I bid and won.  The seller is a little odd with shipping, but I've learned to live with it.  He sent this in the plastic CD case, but it didn't have the cover to it.  It doesn't affect the CD and all the inserts were included, but I guess it saved a bit on shipping, so I'm not too mad.  If you want to know more about this album, here is the discog's link.


Another CD I forgot to show was one I bought a couple months ago when I got the Baywatch CD.



I ultimately decided to give this to a friend, since he was a big fan of the show.  I did rip the CD before giving it to him, and its actually a really good CD.  The CD was worth it just for the theme song, but it had a nice mix of music, some may not really fit the show, but it was still a fun CD.  I like movie and TV soundtracks.  Here is the discogs link for this one too.


I have some cards to show that my friend gave me, but I think I'll save that for a future post.  I have a few other cards to show, so I'll do a card one then.  Next post might be a long one, and I'm not sure when I'll do it, but it should be fun.  Thanks everyone for reading, hope everyone stays cool and has a great weekend.  I think I'm going to find something to watch, maybe try to find some videos from The National since this weekend is the big card show.  I still want to attend one year, but its looking less and less like that will ever happen.  I still wish it would return to St. Louis one year.  Anyways, thanks and have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Add me to the list of people that love the Smurfs puzzle.

    Growing up, my neighbors had moved to Ottawa from Belgium. They had all sorts of French hardcover books for Asterix, Tintin, and Les Schtroumphs (The Smurfs). I had read about them in French before seeing the 80s cartoon in English and the plastic figures selling like mad. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't go wrong with Smurfs. I hope they have more like it next time I go back.

      Delete
  2. A. Normally I'd complain about the heat (don't like anything above 68... but prefer high 50's/low 60's), but we had such a mild spring here in the Bay Area... I feel like we're due.

    B. That Smurfs puzzle is awesome! And I'm super impressed with your puzzle building skills. I don't think I've ever completed anything over 200 pieces.

    C. When I taught 6th grade... we'd have the students perform a graduation song for their parents and Vitamin C's Graduation was chosen at least once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat didn't seem so bad since we got a new air conditioner last year. We never run it until its really hot, so it gets a good break.

      The 2000 piece puzzle is a long challenge, and I'll be glad when its done, but it has been fun to do.

      I think the song is good because its a mix of cheesy pop mixed with thoughts of nostalgia. I think its the same reason why Baz Luhrman's Everyone's Free To Wear Sunscreen was a popular choice for more than a few class songs.

      Delete
  3. I miss the days when places could have hot weather during the summer, and not have it be called a heat wave or be blamed on global warming; and even more so when it's places that are known to be hot during the summer months.

    The Coach soundtrack looks interesting, though I never would've thought that that show would have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can agree with that, though whenever Missouri gets in the mid 90s for more than a few days in a row, I would consider that a heat wave. I was just thinking the other day not so much on global warming, but it seems like whenever the weather makes a shift its always blamed on El Nino or something similar. Before the mid-90's I never even heard of El Nino, but to be fair I was young. Now it just seems like a scapegoat.

      The soundtrack was interesting and while it had a good mix of good music, I don't know how much was actually featured on the show and how it would fit. Still I miss TV show soundtracks (at least ones that are on CD, while I have some vinyl I don't rush out to buy seasons of soundtracks of shows like Stranger Things on vinyl).

      Delete