Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Christmas Visit

A few days before Christmas, my best friend stopped by and brought some gifts.  From how afar, I'm not sure, but it didn't matter to me.  I felt bad I didn't have but a few cards to give him, but he said don't worry about it.  I gave him about 2-3,000 cards about a month earlier, but still.

Anyways, he is a great gift giver, and this year was no different.  He kind of knows what I like.


I figured at some point I would get some cards.  He was fishing for ideas this year and I didn't really give him anything.  He'd ask "any cards you looking for" or "something you looking to collect" and each time I'd say "not really".  I did it because I don't care if gets me anything, but I do appreciate it greatly.  So these cards came in the bottom of a package he got me.  A couple Jeff Montgomery cards at the top, so I assumed they were all Royals cards.  I was mostly right as they were almost all Royals, only a couple were of the Cincinnati Reds.  All the cards were Jeff Montgomery cards though, so they all fit in the collection nicely.  I was a big fan of his while growing up, and enjoy he is still working with the Royals on the TV broadcasting side of things.  There were a lot of doubles, but that's fine because the ones that weren't I needed quite a few of, including a couple gold variations of cards.

So what was in the top part of the package?


It was the baseball on the left.  A Jeff Montgomery autographed baseball.  As I opened the package, I didn't see the name on the base, so I did my best to guess the name.  I was semi close, but I had no idea who Jeff Nutmeg was, so I was stumped.  Since then though, Jeff Nutmeg has kind of stuck as that's what I call him now.  I like the ball and the base and it fits nicely inside the top part of my roll top desk.

The same goes for the ball on the right, which was another gift he got me.  He said the guy claimed it was game used, but most likely it isn't.  The guy wasn't sure, and the only way I'd think it was is if it was from Spring Training.  Three J-names on the ball and this one is just as cool as the Jeff Nutmeg ball.  I don't really actively seek autographed baseballs, but oddly enough I was looking on Ebay a month earlier for a Johnny Damon ball just because.  It was also a reason I said I didn't have any ideas when he was fishing for ideas, I didn't want to get something he might later give or vice-versa.  This is the second time though he has gotten me a Johnny Damon autograph, the last was on a baseball card.  I love both.  The other names on this ball aren't too shabby either.  I remember both Jon Nunally and Joe Vitiello and have neither of their autographs, so this was really cool.

He also got me one other gift, and I've already got good use out of it.


One of my favorite things I have is a St. Louis Cardinals blanket.  It is handmade and really heavy duty, but I'm not a Cardinals fan.  I bought it many years ago at Savvy Seconds, before their original building burnt down, for only 3 bucks, and wouldn't trade it for the world.  Since then though, I've wanted to get a Royals blanket and even considered making one.  So with this gift, I don't have to now.  This one is really nice, and has already kept me warm especially this last week when temperatures overnight reached negative numbers.  I hadn't seen this design before but I like it.  One of the reasons I pass on Royals blankets is because I don't like many of the designs, and usually look for one similar to the Cardinals one I have.  It has been shown in the background on many previous posts, and one day I still might make a Royals one.

So overall, I think I made out pretty good.  I can't complain one bit and I'm glad I have the balls on display and can use the blanket as I work on many projects.

Speaking of projects, I mentioned attaining some 5,000 count boxes and in transition of re adding my collection to the Trading Card Database.  The last week or so I've focused my time on my Royals cards and updating my want lists.  I am proud to say that....


A little after 2 AM on New Years Day, I finished adding all the cards back into the collection and updated all my Royals wantlists.  Yes I spent New Years Eve adding sorting cards, but hey, I'd take that over going out with a bunch of drunks when it was -10 and the wind chill was -30.  I got to stay home where it was warm and got to see music on TV and sort cards.  I was happy.  I'm also happy that I have plenty of space to add to my Royals collection this year or whenever.  I started a new project and added cards to a new collection on TCDB, but might talk about that later.  My next goal is updating my Greg Maddux and the rest of my Johnny Damon collection.  Then I'll start adding the other stuff I have.  I hope in a couple months all will be done and I can focus on adding stuff I might start trading soon.  Its been fun going through cards every day to be honest.

So I guess that wraps it up for today, I got a little sidetracked reading a tweet about a Facebook post and lost track of time, so I better get back to sorting.  Thanks for reading and have a great day.  Also want to wish everyone a Happy New Year, and unlike last year, I do on plan on blogging more this year.  No idea of how many posts as I like to be free to post whenever instead of setting deadlines.  So have fun reading, and if its cold or snowing where you are, stay safe.

1 comment: