Sunday, June 17, 2018

Garage Sale-ing! The Rest of the Story

So my last post was some cards I found while hitting some garage sales.  I mentioned I bought other items and today I thought I would show those off.  The best deals I got was at the first sale, so I'll save that one for last.  So in no order here is what I got the first week of June.


When I find a helmet, its hard for me to pass it up if the price is right.  Even if this is one of those kid's costume ones, its still in nice shape.  The only table at this one sale that didn't have prices on it, so I asked and they said a buck.  I can't haggle with that, so I bought it.  The same table had a few (maybe 10) basketball cards too, but again no price and no real interest I passed on those.  That sale though had a lot of office supply stuff and I might have spent longer there browsing if it wasn't so hot.  Seeing it was just about noon though and inside a garage with no air, I hurried up a bit.


After taking a break from sales to cool off a bit, we hit a few more sales in the afternoon.  Someone I knew from school was having a sale so I stopped in to browse.  As luck would have it, she was on the phone the entire time so I couldn't catch up with her.  It was mostly kids clothes and such so I didn't see much there, but I did spot this basketball.  I have never seen a WNBA branded ball so I got this one for 50 cents (maybe a buck), and was happy.  I haven't been into the WNBA since their early years, but I think it has more to do with being disgruntled with the NBA and the TV schedule of the WNBA more than the actual gameplay itself.  Quite simply, if WNBA was on more and maybe advertised more I would probably watch it.


I like seeing tins at garage sales.  I love the advertising aspect of them.  Most of the time I don't get them because I don't have the room, and I don't need them, but I spotted one in this box that I couldn't pass up.  The problem was, they had no prices on them.  I have many gripes about garage sales, but the biggest is no prices on items or something to tell you the prices.  I was about to move on when the woman came out of the garage and proclaimed they were all free!  I liked what I saw and grabbed the box.  I do have a rule though when I go to sales and that's if I find free stuff I will take it, but only if I find something to buy.  If I don't find something to buy, I'll give them something for the free item.  I couldn't find anything besides an under the cabinet CD player which I didn't need, so I offered a buck for the entire box.  That amounted to about 10 cents a piece or less, so I thought it was a good deal.  The woman didn't argue and gladly took the buck.  I think both parties were happy.

So let's take a closer look at what I got.






So far, not so bad.  10 cents each I can't complain all that much.  Thought these aren't the tins I was looking for.



Can't have Kisses without some Hugs.  And that Hugs tin was really dirty.  Luckily I cleaned them all up and most look nice as a couple have rust spots, but still can't complain. 



This is the same tin, but wanted to show more of it.  This is possibly my favorite of the bunch, but wasn't the reason I wanted the box so bad.  At this point though, I felt I got my money's worth.


I really liked this one, and while I have no plans to use these tins at the moment, if I do, this might be the one I use first.  I've seen this tin many times but not sure if I ever had one like it.  This made the box worth it.  Still not the one I wanted though.


THIS WAS IT!  Before I could say anything about this tin my mom saw it and said "we used to have one like that a long time ago".  That was exactly the reason I wanted it.  Childhood memories come and go and sometimes for the oddest things, but I will always remember us having this tin, even if I don't know how we got it or what we used it for.  I could have just grabbed this for free and left, but I felt paying a buck for childhood memories and getting some other tins was well worth it.

So for those keeping track, I've spent 3 bucks so far.  Add the 4 bucks for cards from the last post and I'm still under 10 bucks.  We finally get the the first sale we went to where I spent the most, which was 9 bucks.  Yes, all the items in the last two posts cost a total of 16 bucks.  First to show the item that got me in the door so to speak.


I can't explain my fascination with furniture.  It's like luggage, I don't need more, but I somehow talk myself into it.  When I saw this for 5 bucks I balked a bit at it.  The price was right, I just had to think of how to use it.  I have a stand for my TV, so don't need it for that.  I have too much clutter by my desk or I could use it for my printer and scanner.  Maybe I could use it by my bed for my laptop.

Eventually I did decide to get it because my mom talked about wanting a night stand or something by her bed.  I felt it would work perfectly for her.  Once we got home and tried it out, its a perfect fit, and one of the better deals I've made in a while.  I was quite happy with it.

The thing is though, I might have passed it up if I didn't see this items and found them so cheap.  You ever been to a sale and think "I would have paid more if they wanted more"?  That's how I was, so the best way to do that was to get that cart.  So for 9 bucks I got a cart (which by the way was also worth it just for that) and these two items, my favorite by far of the weekend.


Even with a bad year, I'll always be happy to find Royals items.  A fleece blanket with the Royals is even better.  The best item I ever found at Savvy Seconds was a St. Louis Cardinals blanket someone made that was 4 bucks.  I always feel a bit bad using it because its the Cardinals, but I wouldn't trade it for anything... Well, maybe a million bucks, but you get the idea.  Last Christmas my friend got me a Royals fleece that I use quite often sometimes now when I turn the A/C on and it gets super cold.  This blanket however is totally different.  When I saw the 2 buck price tag on this one I snatched it up immediately, and then the other one too.  Which let's see that one even though its the same.


I forgot to mention, the second one was still in the bag.  WHAT!  Since they were folded and I knew I was going to buy them anyways, I didn't look at them much until I got home and unfolded them.  When buying them, I noticed the Academy Sports logo on there and thought something made them special.  This couple by the way were so nice, we talked for a few minutes before I even bought these items.  It was funny they were Royals fans since they lived in Cardinals country (even the HS mascot is the Cardinals).  But nonetheless I was happy and felt I made out like a bandit.

So when I saw these when I got home and saw the logo, I had a really good feeling these were Stadium Giveaway blankets.  I looked high and low for something on google to assist me and after about 10 minutes came across the site I've forgotten about 100 times but always come back to.

Stadium Giveaway Exchange

It turns out this was a giveaway from September 21, 2013 when the Royals played the Texas Rangers.  They only gave out 10,000 of these blankets, and now I am in possession of two of them.  Since the temperature is in the upper 90's and I have 2 other blankets, I haven't used these just yet, but this fall I have a feeling the one that isn't bagged up will get some use, maybe at my desk. 

So you would think finding cards would have made me happiest, but as Peanuts once referenced in a title, Happiness Is A Warm Blanket Charlie Brown.

Thanks for reading and have a great week!  As for me, with hot temps, I think I'll sort some cards and finally start seeing what I can trade or sell.  It should be an interesting few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Another great post! I'm a big fan of tins as well, and would've been all over that box had I been there... the Planters one is my favorite. And I think your policy on free stuff is a good one, maybe even one that more people should try to practice.

    I feel like I could've written this post, what with the tins, and then the buying of furniture that you don't have room for (I inherited that trait from my mom). I have such a terrible habit of doing that, and even if I don't need at the time of purchase, I always can't help but think that I might need it somewhere down the road. I kind of live by that old saying "It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I've always been afraid if I ever won the lottery how much more stuff I would have. I'd probably be one of those hoarders with rooms you can't even go into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the WNBA ball. Royals gear is always cool. Their logo and color scheme has always appealed to me. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete