Saturday, June 23, 2018

Savvy Shopping: Way Back When

About 2-3 months ago I mentioned on a Savvy Shopping post I bought some cards, 50 of them to be exact.  It was the post with the Iverson jersey and Naturals jacket.  Anyways, I was checking my desktop and noticed I scanned the cards but never posted them.  Since I'm procrastinating and waiting for another World Cup match to begin, I guess its time to show them.  Let's dig in.


Let's start with some Hostess cards.  While you can find these if you look hard enough, I was quite surprised to see them pop up in this box.  It was worth it just to find these cards.  I think I actually picked up two of the Sandberg card as I know I got a double and only scanned 49 cards.  I wouldn't mind finishing this set one day, but I'm not in a rush.  Even if I don't, with the exception of Pendleton, all these guys are PC's so they fit into my collection.

Bottom row starts with my least favorite of the 90's Triple Play sets, but I'd take them any day over the 2010's versions.  I don't plan on set building it, but again, Fielder is a PC, and while not officially a PC I do collect some Coleman cards.  I'm always tempted to go back to my childhood and buy a box of Triple Play cards, and one day I might do it.  I doubt its anytime soon.

Next is a Post Cereal card of Greg Jefferies.  I didn't have too many of the yellow border cards and since it was the only Post card in the box, I grabbed it.  Finding 50 cards was a little tougher than I thought, so some cards while I didn't need were still nice to get.  The last card is a checklist card of 1987 Fleer featuring the Royals.  I don't carry a phone with me so I couldn't tell if I needed it or not so I took a chance.  I can't remember if I updated my lists from these cards, but I know I at least checked to see if I had them.  I have a big mess to go though on my desk, and one day I'll get through it.

Speaking of which, I am currently adding in ALL of my cards into the Trading Card Database.  It's going to take quite a while, but I hope once I get them added I can see what I have, keep some, and them trade, sell, or donate some.  I still have a list of all the bloggers who have sent me cards so they'll be the top priority, but after that I'll try to get some sent out to some bloggers.  My master plan will be to cut my collection in half in 4 years, then half again 2 years later.  I have about 5000 cards sorted so far, and if I had to venture a guess, about 50,000 more to sort.  A lot of fun days and nights ahead.  If the weather stays near 100 much of the summer, at least I'll have something to do.

Okay, back to cards.


This box had a lot of cardboard such as the Rollie Fingers and Paul Molitor cards.  They were bowed quite a bit but still, I couldn't pass up these cards.  I don't PC Rollie, but since I don't have many of his cards, it was a safe assumption I didn't have it.  I do PC Molitor, and was 95% sure I didn't have this one, so it was an easy choice.

The Arthur Rhodes gold card got me excited.  Not because I knew it would make me rich, but the 1991 Best was some of the first Minor League cards I ever got, and it reminded me of how much I loved the set as a kid.  I never had a gold card, so that was a bonus, and on top of that a player who had a nice long career, so double bonus.

The bottom row is a couple Scott Bailes cards I found.  I always forget why I collect him, but I would guess I'm on the verge of being a supercollector.  The reason I do is because I needed one card of him since he played at Southwest Missouri State University, now Missouri State University, and I always think he went to Mizzou.  I think I can stop collecting his cards, but I really should see how many I have and see what I have left to get.  It really shouldn't be that many.


1990 Donruss never appealed to me, but I couldn't pass up these four red cards.  The Bo Jackson I thought I needed, and can't remember if I did, and the other three are PC's and I think I had them all.  Oh well, two HOF's and Lou who I would put in the Hall, so I'm not complaining.  The John Davis and Terry Shumpert cards I got because I figured I needed them.  The Sandberg I got because again, a PC.


I got a bit concerned but curious when I found some basketball next.  I was happy to find the Reggie Miller (always been a fan), and glad to find the McHale (I don't care who he supports politically).  The reason for concern and curiosity was because I was halfway through the box and didn't want to sift through 300 basketball cards.  On the flip side, there wasn't a lot of gloss left, so if it was b-ball, they would be some older ones and maybe I could have found some KC Kings or some other good cards.

Luckily there weren't a lot of b-ball, and next I found a few football.  I was sure I had this Derrick Thomas card, but come on, it's DT, no way I'd pass it up.  I might start a war here, but I still say if Derrick won a Super Bowl and played in a bigger market he'd be bigger that LT.  I know BIG IF's but even if he wasn't recognized more worldwide, he's still legendary in Kansas City.

Anyways, I found more baseball and a couple cards I was certain I didn't have.  The Saberhagen is better now that I noticed Jack Morris on it too.  I think Saberhagen is similar to Derrick Thomas.  Bret did win a World Series, and a Cy Young, and eventually played in the biggest market (with the Mets), but if the Royals played better in the late 80's and early 90's Saberhagen would get more recognition.  Kansas City is the 29th largest metropolitan in the United States, but its still considered "small market".  Go figure.  Anyways, the Willie Wilson card was one I never seen before aside from online, so I knew I didn't have it.  Overall, I'm doing good in this box, but I was starting to grow tired of seeing 1985 Mariners cards.  I was hoping to find more dazzle.


Well, it may not be dazzle, but its some Royals cards, so that's always good.  The Orta, Biancalana, and Jones cards I didn't think I had, the rest I kind of figured I did.  Again though, I needed 50, and I'm going to find 50.  The last two I got because they went to Mizzou.  The Laudner I was 99% sure I had, but the Mathis I was unsure.


Hmm, I did scan the Sandberg twice.  Thought I only scanned 49 cards, maybe I shorted myself.  Oh well.  Anyways, more Royals, most I likely had, but even if I did, I'll take a double of George Brett.  It turns out I needed that one (I remember that), so score one for me.

So the last scan.  Like I did that day going through the box, I'm getting tired.  Soccer is back on and I'm ready to wrap this up.


HOW BOUT THAT!  Let's finish with a bang.  It's not everyday you find loose Starting Lineup cards, so even if I'm not a Roger Clemens fan, that's oddball enough to pick up.  A couple catchers who are among the all time best, and I wasn't passing them up either.  Not only that, but early Pudge.  Also when Fisk was still an All-Star.  Not shabby.  Next is the Baseball Heroes card of Ted Williams.  I never got into the Baseball Heroes stuff Upper Deck produced, but my collection is lacking of Williams cards so I grabbed it.

Bottom row has a couple of the 1988 Pacific Legends set.  Its a set I don't see too often, but one I wouldn't mind putting together one day.  I don't really know anything about Mike McCormick, but still no doubt was going to get it.  I know some about Gil Hodges, and wasn't going to pass it up either.

Lastly are some stickers.  I think I might have got another one too making it 50.  By this point I looked through all the cards and needed a couple more to get to 50 and I grabbed these.  I figured I might use these on a project I abandoned at the moment, but I still don't regret getting them.

Overall I think I said on the original post that I had half of these cards already, but it was still fun to go through them, and the half I didn't have made up for the ones I did have.  I can't complain one bit.

So World Cup is on, and I need to get back to sorting cards, so I'll wrap it up.  Thanks everyone for reading, and I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment