Wednesday, November 5, 2014

R.I.P. Brad Halsey

As I do from time to time, I check out the Wikipedia page Deaths in 2014.  I skimmed it and saw a former MLB player died.  I clicked the link and the name sounded semi-familiar.  It was Brad Halsey.  I read his bio on Wikipedia, and I don't remember him besides his name.  I did find out he was born on February 14th, just like me.  As a matter of fact he was born one year before me.  I also found out he was optioned to AAA once because of a returning Jay Witasik.  I was never a Jay Witasik fan (so much so that I don't care if I mispelled his name), so I feel sorry for Brad.

He only pitched a couple years in the majors and was once passed over for Dallas Braden.  This might be wrong to say, but between Dallas and Jay, that shows the league Brad was likely in, but it could also be he just never got the right chance.  For the record I liked Dallas Braden at one point, but not so much these days. 

After he was released by Oakland in 2008, the Dodgers invited him to spring training in 2009.  He didn't make the cut and spent the rest of 2009 on a team called the Long Island Ducks.  In 2010, he was a member of the Gary SouthShore RailCats (thats a real team folks).  In 2011 he signed a minor league deal with the New York Yankees. 

He was a college teammate of Huston Street at Texas and was part of the teams 2002 College World Series Championship team.

His total MLB career stats was 14 wins and 19 losses with a 4.84 ERA.  He had 160 strikeouts compared to only 99 walks in appearances for the Yankees (the team who drafted him), Diamondbacks, and the Athletics.

It says the cause of death was a recreational climbing accident in Texas.  He was only 33.

R.I.P. Brad.


I plan to have another post later today, but had a few minutes and though I would post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment