Monday, September 7, 2015

Going Junkin' - What I Got

So after a few days of holding people in suspense, its time to show what I actually bought at a recent trip to the Midway Antique mall.  Lower the expectations a lot and realize I bought only 3 items.  I was going to add a couple pics of stuff I got at Savvy Seconds, but I have plenty of scans so I'll hold off.  Though 3 things seem not like much, I was very happy with how things turned out.  Let's begin.


Did you even think it was possible I would pass up cards?  In fact I did pass some up.  Last time I went a seller had some boxes packed for $4 with commons and such that I showed on here.  This time the boxes were $14!  I didn't feel like it was much of a deal at $4 so there was no way I was going to risk $14.  Instead I bought these cards I've wanted for a while if they were cheap enough.


These came out in the mid 90's and is a collector's set from Campbell's Soup.  They came out the same time as the Coca-Cola cards and the Coor's too and I think by the same company.  I like the flag one on the bottom the best of the set.


This set can help if I'm out of ideas for holiday posts (maybe the bottom one will be a Halloween post).  In total the seller had the complete set broken up into 36 cards per package.  He wanted $2.22 per package (seller's have odd prices sometimes), but he had a half off sale, so I got all 72 cards in the set for... well $2.22.  I thought that was a good deal.  I enjoyed reading all these cards and found out more about Campbell's then I ever expected.  They actually sold Pork & Beans before Chicken Noodle Soup.  So I learned history with the first purchase of the day, not a bad thing.


Next I spotted some fuzzy dice.  No I don't collect them and I have no idea where to display them (for now they are still in the package), but I decided to get these.  You don't see blue dice everyday.


Especially Kansas City Royals dice.  These were $1.99 so I thought it was a good deal since they were still sealed.  They had other Royals items at this booth but I didn't want to spend much and nothing else really stood out.  I believe I also have a pair of Mizzou fuzzy dice too, so one day I might display them side by side.

So I've spent $4.21 so far on two items.  I didn't set a price limit, but if I spent under $10 I would be very happy.  I bought one more item, and needless to say, I didn't even come close to the $10 limit.


If I had to do it over again, I might not have bought this.  Some of the pages were slightly ripped (pages stuck together and a previous owner ripped them to separate them).  Sure I don't need pristine condition on old programs, but the main reason I bought this was because it was a game against the Kansas Jayhawks.


It was $1, so that's why I imagine it was so easy to splurge on this.  This game in particular I don't remember off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure I watched it on TV.  If a Mizzou game was on TV I watched it.  Most of the Mizzou and Kansas games were televised usually part of Big Monday games on ESPN.  A bucket list goal is to see Mizzou take on one of their arch rivals in basketball, I'd like it to be Kansas, but its unclear when they will meet again.


Look at these lineups!  Of course the Kansas squad was filled with future NBA players Raef LaFrentz, Scot Pollard, Jacque Vaughn, and obviously Paul Pierce.  I remember playing as Jacque Vaughn a ton on NBA 99 on the Playstation because he had amazing skills in stealing the ball.  I remembered Pierce's time in Lawrence and I was a fan of his when he reached the NBA.  I know most Mizzou fans will hate me for that, but once they reach the pros, I don't really care where they played (except for Tyus Edney, I will never root for him).

As for Mizzou, the Tigers had some good players too, albeit not NBA level guys, but I still remember liking most of these guys.  I liked Sutherland and Winfield a lot and Derek Grimm was good too.


Monte Hardge, the Haley twins, Kelly Thames, the bench looked good too.  It looked like we had better bench depth but Kansas was a powerhouse!  I just looked at the results and the Jayhawks killed us by 20 in Kansas later in the year, but on this night, Mizzou beat the at that point undefeated in conference Jayhawks by 4, the final was 77-73!  I'm starting to remember it a bit now.  Mizzou was trying to prevent KU from going undefeated in the final year of the Big 8 as Mizzou had 2 years earlier.


Jason Sutherland, Chip Walther, Julian Winfield, Kelly Thames were all on that 1993-94 squad who went 14-0, as well as maybe others.  I loved the 90's Mizzou squads.


I liked this page, it was cool to see cartoon Mizzou guys, and on top seeing a "Cellular" phone company.  I think I still have a couple of Dad's old bag phones he'd have for the cars.  Man that brings back memories.


When I first saw this, I thought it was Phillips 66 ending sponsorship but I remembered them always sponsoring basketball.  Then I saw the Big 8 logo and realized it was the final year of the Big 8 conference.  While I like the SEC conference, I miss the days of the Big 8 conference.  It seemed like most of the teams were able to beat each other on any given day, and the matchups were much more exciting.  College money killed a lot of things but the Big 8 was one of the biggest casualties in my opinion.  Mizzou basketball never really fully recovered from it.  The only positive was when it switched to the Big 12, football became bigger.  That was good for Mizzou in a sense, but Big 8 was known for basketball.  Sure Nebraska and Colorado had elite programs in football, but the basketball was what brought the most talk I believe.  Once the Big 8 dissolved I still watched college basketball, but it seemed that my love for basketball in general declined outside of high school which I was in at the time.  Today, it takes a lot for me to watch NBA and while I don't blame the fall of the Big 8, the implosion of one of the biggest college basketball conferences (next to the ACC and maybe Big East) had a huge impact on me and I felt the landscape of basketball changed around that time.

So I bought 3 items, and spent a total of $5.21.  It was well worth the price for all the fun I had.  I know these items may seem like a let down, but my expectations aren't usually too high, so just those Campbell's cards set the tone for the entire day.  I found them in the first booth I searched so I had a feeling that I was going to enjoy it.

I hop you enjoyed reading these past few posts, and hope everyone had a great Labor Day.  Thanks for reading and have a great rest of the week.

2 comments:

  1. Those Campbells cards are quite the oddballs. I can't say I've ever been aware of those. They truly did make trading cards of everything in the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like oddballs. Perfect price from those Campbell's. Nothing to lose for the price of one pack of Topps flagship. I'd have had the same thought about the holidays.

    ReplyDelete