Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Gotta Have It... aka Did I show this off yet.

In a quest to clean up stuff on my computer and also start posting again, I have a few scans to show.  The first is something that caught my eye while house cleaning a couple months ago.  And yes, house cleaning is part of the reason I haven't posted a lot lately.  My house isn't that cluttered, its just that I am trying to go through stuff to sell our house (well my mom's house, but all my stuff is there) and have been sidetracked a lot.

Who cares, lets see pictures.



Am I the only one who remembers this?  I showed a friend and he had no clue what this was.  Basically it was a discount card type thing found inside cases of Pepsi.  If you had this card, you could get discounts at different places on stuff.  I had quite a few of these, and it seemed so cool, almost like I had a credit card.  The thing is that I never used it, it was just cool to have.  I mean you GOTTA HAVE IT!


I looked online after I found this at what all you could use it for, and I don't think I would have used it at any rate.  You could get a discount at Blockbuster Video, but we didn't have one.  Our movie store was Aardvark Video (which later became a Movie Gallery), and our local grocery store had some movies as well.  In fact I think I've only been inside a blockbuster once, maybe twice.  I also never owned a pair of Reebok's that I'm aware of.  My shoes always came from Walmart, and I'm not ashamed of that.  My shoes today still come from Walmart.  As for the MTV, I don't know what the deal was with them, but I didn't get MTV until almost 2000, and today I don't have it either.  I don't think I'm missing too much.


How about some oversized cards?  I have a few, and found these while cleaning.  It was cool to find the St. Louis Cardinals cards with Smokey The Bear on it.  I could tell a Mitch Hedburg joke here, but I'll let you youtube him yourself so you can experience his greatness, may he rest in peace.

I don't know if I have others, but I wish I could find them if I did.  The shocking moment came when I found the Dan Quisenberry oversized card.  I know these were part of my dad's collection, but I don't remember seeing it before.  Out of all the cards of a Royal, I am happiest to have this one.  Maybe I might search for others online one day.  Likely once I finish cleaning.  I don't have time or really the room right now.

One the bottom is some randomness.  There is a Tyler Reks coin thing (I think Topps called them Chipz) which is kinda cool.  I liked T-Reks, so since it doesn't take up much space it will be a keeper.  An old Royals patch that was my dads is next to it.  I don't know the exact time frame but it is early 80s I believe.  The logo has stayed mostly the same throughout their existence, but a few subtle changes makes it a little easy to pinpoint it some.

Finally are some beer coasters.  Now on the surface, let me say I don't drink.  However, I've always been attracted to beer related stuff, and I went to Cargo Largo a few years back and they had like 100-250 count packs of coasters for either a buck or 50 cents.  I bought one of each of these designs, and still have most of them.  Maybe one day I'll use some of them.


Finally is some cards I won a few months back on Listia.  I still go there at least once a day, but I don't bid on much these days.  Thanks to some goals they've had, I have managed to increase my credits by a lot lately, so I can bid on stuff when I feel like it.

I don't know if I showed these off yet, so here they are.  The Rios I'm not even sure I won on Listia, but oh well.  I know I won the Sportflics card of Maddux on there.  I need to update my Maddux list and see what I've gotten this year.  Another Harry Gant card to add to my collection, and to be honest, I think I have enough of his cards now.  I don't plan on getting every card he ever had, but a few is nice to have.

The bottom row has a Minions card.  I got it for my mom, who likes those guys.  I just can't get into it, even though I did see the first Despicable Me in the theaters.  Maybe even in 3-D (which in my opinion is a rip off, but so is going to the movies in the first place).  Finally is a Royals sticker card.  It's possible I had this already, but I don't think I did.  It was like 50 credits I think so I didn't spend much on it.  I found some other stickers of Royals lately I didn't know I had, so I still have a long way to go to finish sorting cards.

That wraps it up today, thanks if your still reading, and I really hope to be writing more soon, I have a few things to talk about, but its finding time and space (one day my desk was filled sky high with CD's to rip), once things settle down, I hope to be back more often.  Have a great night.

3 comments:

  1. Harry Gant is probably the greatest "aged" athlete we've seen in the upper echelon of pro sports. Hard to believe his prime years came when most other athletes have long since cashed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smokey the Bear cards are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I don't remember the Gotta Have it cards. We even had all those stores close to where I live. Think of the money I could have saved.

    ReplyDelete