Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Five For (not a lot of) Fighting

I've spent the last few days doing a lot of different things not really related to this blog.  That is the main reason I have posted too much this month.  I need to stay in the habit and I'm in no way burnt out from blogging yet, I just haven't posted much.

One thing I've been doing is going through scans of cards I made about a year ago to add to the Trading Card Database but never did.  They reached a milestone a few days ago when they can now say they have 1 Million scans!  I wasn't able to add too much as of late, but still have plenty of cards to scan to add to the database to help them reach 2 million.

It was because of the database that I first started reading card related blogs and from there started my own.  Which leads to another reason I haven't posted as much lately: I've been reading a lot of other blogs.  I admit I haven't commented as much lately as I have, but most posts are great and I've gotten a bit tired of my more or less generic "those are cool cards" comments I make. I feel if that is all I have to say, then there is no need to post it because others have already or you are aware of the fact they are cool or you wouldn't post them.

Now I 'm not going to list all the blogs and posts I've read lately, but a couple I wanted to mention  because I enjoyed them a lot.

The Card Chop has a got post in case you missed it talking about the statistic of winning.  If you have some time take time to check it out.

Another blog I've been reading a lot lately is Cardboard History.  Billy has a really detailed collection and is also a major contributor to the Trading Card Database.  His posts are well written and if you haven't had a chance to check it out or follow his blog, you really should take the time to do so.

Another blog I have been obsessed with lately is  Foul Bunt.   This is one of the first card blogs I remember reading over a year ago.  What got me hooked was the series of posts where he talked about the Baltimore Orioles fanfest.  He went back again this year, and I was waiting for his new posts each day for each autograph table he went to.  It has now become a highlight for me to check them out, and I hope if I ever go to the Royals Fanfest one year, my posts about them will be as good.

The last couple days I could have wrote a new blog, but I watched the GRAMMYs and as a result spent a lot of time discussing Kanye West on Facebook and Twitter.  Hopefully I am done with all of that.  I am a big music fan and so I get caught up in all these debates.  I have toyed with the idea with starting a music blog, but I waffle too much to consider it more than talking about it.  Maybe in the future.

So with all of that out of the way, I can say that I have won some items on Listia lately.  I have some more on the way, but a couple wins came in the mail yesterday I figured I'd display.


I'll start with this Mike Sweeney.  Since I still haven't finished sorting all the cards I got for Christmas (I really need to), I have cautioned myself on bidding on Royals cards unless I knew I didn't have them.  This is one I knew was missing so I bid on it.  For 499 credits, I can't say I'm disappointed.  I would have liked to bid less, but since I still have over 16,000 credits, I think I can spare a few here and there.

Another card I got recently was this beauty.


The second Sam Hornish Jr. card in less than a month, and with that I think I am fine with what I have for a while.  I used to collect NASCAR more regularly but I'm just not into the cards anymore which I guess might not be a problem if they don't get a new license from a card company.  Having said that, I can't wait for the Daytona 500 which is just around the corner.

Okay, the final Listia win to show you is a George Brett card I've thought about getting for a while but never did.  Nobody else bid on it so I got it for 499 credits.


I keep seeing it pop up on Listia but this auction seemed different.  That's because it wasn't just for one card.


So you can see the front and back in the same photo.  Not bad for 499 credits...


Just imagine I could photoshop it and make it look like I got 5 of them.


WAIT A MINUTE! I DID GET 5 OF THEM!  Less than 100 credits a card, that is a steal.  I know I plan on keeping at least 2, and give one to my friend.  Beyond that I'm not sure what to do with the others.  I didn't need 5, but like I said, nobody else bid, so I bid low enough that I wouldn't be too mad if I lost, and in this case, nobody else bid.  I'm not sure how easy it is for him to sign, but this would be a great card to get autographed.  I'm hoping I can do just that.

So I guess I'll stop there for today.  I have a couple more posts I plan on doing this week, one of them is one I'm piecing together because it was fun to do and I'm trying to make the post perfect.  Thank you for reading and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment