Monday, February 15, 2016

Hail to the Chief (not the football team)

Yesterday I had a fun distraction of showing some Valentines.  Today I will focus on another holiday, but with actual cards... well kinda.  Happy President's Day folks!


THESE ARE REAL CARDS!!!!  right?  These were on packages of Little Debbie snack cakes.  This isn't my collection, I found this image, but I have some cards.


If I remember right, Reagan or Poppa Bush (no disrespect, I just needed to distinguish between the Bush Presidents) was the last ones to get cards.  I wish they would bring these back to be honest, it is a nice touch of history, and something worthwhile on a package, a double win.


They are only one sided, but even just one side had plenty of information and had nice portraits, something some cards today don't seem to have.

In total, I have 12 of these cards total, starting with John Quincy Adams up to Gerald Ford.   As far as a checklist, I have the following Presidents (they are numbered the same as their Presidency):  6, 12, 13, 19, 22 (& 24 on the same card since Grover Cleveland was both they only made one card), 26, 27, 31, 34, 36, 37, 38. Realistically I doubt I could ever get a complete set, and even if I could I wouldn't want to spend anything on it so, 12 is good enough for me.  Here's hoping they make more someday.


Again I know this isn't cards, but I had a similar ruler growing up, I thing the last 3 Presidents weren't on it, maybe even Poppa Bush either.  I didn't know they still made these to be honest.  I can't remember what was on the reverse side, but it wasn't signatures.  I'm glad they still make these though, I know its easier then ever to access information on the Presidents but this was cool to have handy when I was a kid.

Okay, how about some real cards?  I have some of those too.


You have to love the Desert Storm trading cards for no other reason than for historical value.  I'm not a big history buff, but I think history trading cards could really catch on and think the History Channel (when they showed history) could have really had a big seller if they tried selling trading cards, of course let a company like Upper Deck or Topps produce them, but History could sell them.  This set had some nice cards of some big names, like George H.W. Bush shown above, but also future Vice President Dick Cheney, and Norman Schwarzkoff (I think I misspelled it).  I think I have most of the set, but this card in general is the focus tonight.


This is the only card from this set I have, but it is a nice set to maybe collect one day.  It is also the only James K. Polk card I have so there's also that.


I'm not sure how many of these cards I have of this set, but this is the only Presidential card from the set I have.  I think the picture is good of Dwight D. Eisenhower, but the card itself I'm not really a fan of.


This is a great card and set featuring Harry S. Truman.  I need him for my people from Missouri set, but I think even if I didn't I would chase this card.  In fact I might go after all the Presidents in this set (not the whole set, just the first 44 that feature Presidents).

In addition to the Truman card, I also have one of John Adams, Grover Cleveland (card 24, he actually has two cards one for each time he was the leader), Calvin Coolidge, Gerald Ford, and this one:


I really like this card too.  So almost 1/7ths of the set is complete, that is a nice start.  Again, these are nice cards of historical value.

In addition to this card of our current President, I have other cards of his as well.


A nice card as well,  this was a First Pitch card before Topps made it a insert set.  This was from 2009 I think and it was a photo from when he was campaigning for President.

I also have a few more cards of President Obama.  I won't lie and say I'm a big fan (but I'm also not wanting to discuss politics on my blog), but I like trading cards, so here is the last card I'll show:


This is from a 2009 set dedicated to how Barack Obama became President.  From the beginning of his campaign until the day he was sworn in.  I found a couple packs cheap shortly after they came out, and to be honest I wouldn't mind finishing the set.  Only 12/90 cards so far, but I might look for some one day.  I also got 3 stickers from the set too.

So here is my salute to the President's on their day,  I thought it was a nice way to show some stuff off.  None of these are my scans, as I didn't have the scanner plugged in, but the James K. Polk card I found on Ebay, the Little Debbie cards were through Google searches, and the rest were scans from the Trading Card Database,  for more Presidential cards, I would go there.

Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment