Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Ain't You Slick

When your favorite team is on a losing streak, you look for anything you can to stay positive. This is the second  extended losing streak the Royals have had this year.  It happens, and sure, they have a lot of younger guys filling in for injured players, but it does suck.  On the bright side, it does feel like 2011 when a new crop of talent rose to the majors and as a result a couple years later helped in making the team a contender.  This year Kansas City has asked for help from Cheslor Cuthbert, Brett Eibner (who also got injured), and Whit Merrifield.  The team has been up and down this year, but maybe the team can start notching wins soon and make another playoff run.  I'm not too worried yet, but the longer the funk, the more of a chance the other AL Central teams have of running away with the division.

So to stay positive, I'm going to blog about a yearly charity event that the Royals host along with some celebrities who happen to be Royals fans.  The Big Slick Celebrity Weekend was born in 2010 with the idea of hosting a poker tournament with the proceeds going to Children's Mercy Hospital.  The celebrities were Rob Riggle, Paul Rudd, and Jason Sudeikis.  They planned it in a few short weeks, and asked friends, family, and celebs to contribute or donate.  It was a success, and each year it has grown.

Rob Riggle, Paul Rudd, Jason Sudeikis
In the years since, Big Slick has expanded to include bowling, as well as a celebrity softball game held prior to a Royals game.  It has also expanded to include two more Royals celebrity fans- Eric Stonestreet and David Koechner.

David Koechner, Eric Stonestreet, Rob Riggle, Paul Rudd, Jason Sudeikis
The guest list of celebrity alums is long, so instead of listing them, how about a screen shot from their website:


HOLY CRAP that is a good list.  Sure not all of them are Royals fans, but they all understand its for a good cause.  Sure most single out the bigger names like Jon Hamm, Will Ferrell, Kevin Pollack, and George Wendt.... and WEIRD AL????

Those are great names, and I remember the first Big Slick KC with the originals 3 along with Will Ferrell in the Royals dugout doing commentary on Fox Sports KC, but the names that stand out to me are the ones people may not instantly recognize.  Names like Hilarie Burton (One Tree Hill), Joe Lo Truglio (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Richard Kind (almost every TV show ever), Martin Starr (he's always Napplebee to me, he was in a movie called Cheats), Josh Charles (Sports Night).... oh and George Wendt and Kevin Pollack!

Every year I want to go, but never do.  One year I might, but it won't be this year.  The festivities are June 17-18th this year.  Besides the main five, some of the guests have been announced.  Among them are Kevin Pollack (he has that poker bug), Olivia Wilde (that isn't a shock since she's engaged to Sudeikis), James Van Der Beek (holy s**t its the Dawson), Judy Greer (not sure who that is), Kevin Rahm (him either, I'm not as hip to pop culture as I used to be), and Aisha Tyler (I do know her, she's on The Talk, and was in Bedtime Stories, as well as Friends).  More will be announced soon I'm sure.

Selena Gomez and Chris Daughtry
Chris Daughtry has also said he's going to be there as well.  Above he's pictured with Selena Gomez who was a surprise guest last year.  I was really surprised when I saw she was there, but it was really cool.

Besides raising money for Children's Mercy, which they raised over $1 Millions last year alone, the celebrities also visit the hospital.  I think that is the best part about it.  Its east for these celebs to raise money and give it, but to take the time and visit these children is extra special.  I think that makes someone such as Selena Gomez popping up last year that much greater.  I'm sure the kids knew most of the celebrities, but getting someone closer to their age that they probably listen to a lot is great.

Hilarie Burton, Paul Rudd
The above photo is probably my favorite one.  Sure its easy to pick out since I have a thing for Hilarie Burton, and seen most of Paul Rudd's movies (if I ever meet him I'm going to ask him about the movie Overnight Delivery, I liked it).  The thing is though is that this photo epitomizes the reason they are holding this event.  Burton and Rudd are so into this young child's story that you can tell they aren't half assing it knowing a photographer is taking a shot (at least Burton, Rudd sometimes has the vibe to him, but he looks interested).  I'm sure most of these celebs if they remember anything about the weekend, they remember the time spent at the hospital the most.  It's possible that's the reason a lot of them return each year.  The children probably will never forget it either.  Even if they don't know all the celebs, just knowing they are interested in them and their struggles I'm sure brightens their day.

NORM!  Oops, I mean George Wendt
Some of the celebrities I'm sure don't have much to do, or have open schedules, others I bet pencil in the dates so they can return.  George Wendt is a regular, and it could be because he's available or he loves visiting the hospital.  However, Wendt is Jason Sudeikis' uncle, so I'm sure that is a big part of it.  Kevin Pollak comes just about every year because of the poker tournament.  It's no secret he's a poker fanatic, so if you plan a celebrity event and want him to show, just mention Poker and I'm sure he'll attend if his schedule allows. 

Martin Starr, Selena Gomez, Eric Stonestreet, Hilarie Burton
I have to be honest, I only included the above photo because I wanted one of the celebs wearing Royals jerseys, and Selena Gomez looks hot as hell in a Royals uniform.  On the second night, they have an auction and they usually auction off some pretty sweet prizes.  In the past they've had many that were studio visits to shows like Modern Family, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Saturday Night Live.  Also movie premieres like Ant-Man, Horrible Bosses 2, Angry Birds, Anchorman 2, and We're The Millers.  That doesn't include the sports packages like to Kansas Jayhawks games and Chiefs games.  Also each year is usually a Man Cave package.

The First Year of Big Slick KC with Riggle, Rudd, Sudeikis, and Will Ferrell.  C'MON CHEN!
 Ticket packages to the event this year is sold out, but you can still get tickets to the Royals game which is where the celeb softball game is held.  $5 of every ticket sold through a special link on the Royals page goes to Children's Mercy as well.  All in all I think it would be an awesome experience to attend and like I said, I hope to go one day.

If you want to know more about the event or the history, check out their website at: http://bigslickkc.org/

That will wrap it up for me tonight, thanks to my sister for giving me an idea of something to blog.  I was stuck since I didn't have anything scanned.  I hope to scan some stuff tomorrow and start posting stuff soon.  I made a lot of headway sorting cards today so that will help cleaning out some cards soon. Just a little bit more to do now.  Thanks for reading and have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment