Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Surefire way to become successful

As I was growing up, movies about sports always piqued my interest.  My favorite were baseball ones, but even ones like The Mighty Ducks and The Longest Yard (the original, don't get me started on the remake- maybe another day) I still liked.  I remember watching baseball films like Field Of Dreams and Major League over and over.

Once, I remember getting in trouble watching Major League because it was on TV. That wasn't the reason, though.  I had always seen the HBO version, so I knew all the cuss words.  One time it was on network TV and I made a list of the cuss words and the ones they replaced them with.  When my parents found out, they were ...(FIRETRUCK) mad.

Major League was made about the Cleveland Indians of course.  A few years later Little Big League came out, and it was about the Minnesota Twins.  In fact, a lot of movies about baseball came out in the early 90's.  Especially in 1994, just as the strike began.

It seemed though after each of these movies were made, a few years later, that team would start winning.  The Indians were losers until Major League came out, then shortly after Major League 2 came out, the went to the World Series.  The Twins, who weren't too far from success in the past, started to win again after Little Big League.

I always wanted them to make a movie about the Kansas City Royals.  I thought, that would for sure be a way for them to start winning.  It never happened, but at least I got to see teams like the Angels (Angels in the Outfield), and the Red Sox (Fever Pitch) win, so I was okay.  Really the only team that didn't have any success after getting a movie was the Cubs (Rookie of The Year), but then again, they are the Cubs, who would expect them to win.

Anyways, I was browsing the internet the other day and came across something I didn't know existed.  At first I thought it was a celebrity modified card (I have seen a few, and liked them by the way), but then searched and saw they were real.





REAL MAJOR LEAGUE TRADING CARDS?  I have to check this out.  A few minutes later, I found out its a small set produced by Topps Archive.

In the last couple years, I have started to like the Archives cards.  Though to be honest, I'm not a fan of the 1989 Topps design, but it was the year the film was released, so it makes perfect sense.  Then I found this- Major League Wax Pack!  Topps is releasing a pack of the set.  I'm not one who need the autographs, so just the base set is fine with me (except I do want the above Taylor card signed since Berenger went to Mizzou).  However, I am cheap and 12 bucks is.... juuuuuusssssstttt a bit outside my price range.


One day I am going to have to buy this.  I am thinking sooner than later, but for now, I will pass.  Though I did just buy one of the cards off COMC.

It wasn't because I like him most, but because it was the cheapest I could find so far.  They are going for about 2 bucks a card and higher if you find them, so I got this for about half that.






I've only seen 4 of the cards on COMC, the pack off the topps site includes those four, plus the Rachel Phelps and Jobu cards.  Maybe I should ask Jobu for some help finding some cheaper cards.

My only wish is that with the 25th anniversary of the movie, they could have released a bigger set.  Maybe 25 cards or so.  I would have included of course, Willie Mays Hayes, Lou Brown, Charlie Donovan, Pedro Cerrano, Harry Doyle, Pepper, and then a few others thrown in like Clu Haywood, Lynn Wells, Suzanne Dorn, and a maybe some pivotal scenes from the series to finish the set.  Or even add a few guys from Major League 2 like Tanaka and Rube Baker and Jack Parkman.

At any rate, I am going to have to finish this set, and while I'm at it I need to find the Kevin Costner Bull Durham card cheap enough to buy too.




No comments:

Post a Comment